A Brief History of Round Rock Texas
Round Rock Texas is a thriving, vibrant city that has become one of the top tourist destinations in the state. Its proximity to Austin makes it a convenient stopping point for road trippers, while its many parks and family-friendly activities make it the perfect place to visit for a long weekend getaway.
Water Damage and Roofing of Round Rock is a reputable roofing company with a diverse and experienced team of roofing experts with a passion for their work and craft. We can repair, install, inspect, or replace any roofing system. Our years of experience and dedication to excellence in the roofing industry have allowed us to build a great reputation and earn the respect of our clients, peers, and competitors. We understand that the quality of our work is just as important as the service we provide, which we are very proud of. We ensure that every project we take on is done to the highest standards possible. In addition, honesty, integrity, and responsibility are values we hold in high regard when working on any job.
The history of Round Rock is filled with a series of events that helped shape the town's name and location. The first settlement was established in 1851 along the banks of Brushy Creek. The early settlers were primarily European Americans, but Indians and native Mexicans also resided along the creek.
After the Civil War, Round Rock became a prominent cattle drive route. This was the time that the Chisholm Trail rolled through the area and hundreds of thousands of cattle were driven from south Texas to markets in Kansas.
By the end of the 1850s, the area had a growing population and new businesses began to open. These included grain mills, broom factories, blacksmith shops and stores. It was also the site of the first higher education institution, Round Rock Academy.
As the town became more popular, a new commercial district developed east of Old Town. This was the "New Town." During this period, the railroad built tracks in this area and the International-Great Northern Railroad built a station. This spur line was the main artery through the town.
The railroads brought lumber and flour mills, cotton gins, blacksmith shops and wagon shops to the newly established community. They were joined by banks, hotels and restaurants. The population increased with immigrants from Sweden and other countries.
Another major development occurred in the late 1800s when the town expanded northward and westward. The Texas Land Office mapped and included the area on its maps as Round Rock in 1856.
In 1851, Thomas Oatts opened a store at what would later become the Old Town of Round Rock. He called the town "Brushy Creek." Postal officials decided it was too close to a nearby post office called Brushy and asked Oatts for a new name. He suggested "Round Rock" because of the distinctive limestone formation at Brushy Creek, and the Postmaster agreed to change the town's name.
Since then, the town has grown tremendously. Today, the area is home to several national corporations and the headquarters of Dell Inc. The city is located 15 miles north of Austin and is a short drive from Dallas-Forth Worth, Houston and San Antonio.
For companies looking to expand their operations in the Austin area, Round Rock offers a convenient location and an excellent work-life balance. Its low property tax rates and affordable utilities make it a great place to establish or grow your business.
The Round Rock Chamber of Commerce works with local businesses and entrepreneurs to improve the quality of life in the area. It helps to ease the relocation process for existing businesses and offers business assistance to newcomers.
When it comes to entertainment, the town is a hot spot for sports lovers. The city is home to the Round Rock Express, a Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Fans can catch games at The Dell Diamond, a state-of-the-art 11,631-capacity baseball stadium. Other sports venues in the area include Old Settlers Park, a major youth and amateur sports venue with 12 tennis courts and 20 baseball, five softball, five soccer and two football fields.